If you’ve ever enthusiastically ordered a summer roll in an Asian restaurant only to be let down by a mouthful of bland, tasteless rice noodles that need a dunk in sauce to be edible, you’ll appreciate this flavor-packed version.
- 3 oz. rice noodles
- 3 shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 1 5.5-oz. pkg. vegan turkey slices, cut into thin strips
- 1 small cucumber (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots (1 cup)
- 1 avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 small red onion, minced (1⁄2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili oil
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 green onion, minced
- To make Summer Rolls: Submerge rice noodles in warm water 8 to10 minutes, until soft and clear. Drain, and cut noodles into 2-inch pieces. Set aside. Toss mushrooms with soy sauce in bowl, and set aside.
- Submerge 1 spring roll wrapper in large bowl of cold water 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Lay wrapper flat on work surface and arrange, mushrooms, noodles, turkey strips, cucumber, carrots, avocado, basil, cilantro, onion, and peanuts in log shape in center of wrapper. Sprinkle with chili oil, and roll wrapper like burrito, folding ends to seal.
- To make Dipping Sauce: Combine vinegar and green onion in small bowl. Serve Spring Rolls, whole or halved, with Dipping Sauce.
PER ROLL: 234 CAL; 7 G PROT; 6.5 G TOTAL FAT (1 G SAT FAT); 38 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 168 MG SOD; 3 G FIBER; 2 G SUGARS
Categories: Vegetarian recipes