From scratch Caramel Pecan Sticky Buns baked in a skillet make a sweet breakfast treat. You’ll love the caramel topping that bakes in the bottom of the pan, but when flipped, becomes the topping!
Caramel Pecan Sticky Buns Recipe
A few months ago we shared our famous homemade cinnamon rolls. Have you tried them yet? They’re amazing.
What is the difference between cinnamon rolls and sticky buns?
Today we’re talking sticky buns…the cousin to cinnamon rolls. Sticky buns are called “sticky” because they bake in a gooey sauce poured into the bottom of the pan. Once the rolls are baked, you flip the rolls upside own, revealing that gooey “sticky” sugar coating.
Cinnamon rolls aren’t baked in that gooey, nutty sauce, but rather either frosted or drizzled with glaze after baking.
How to Make Sticky Buns
- The first step to making sticky buns is to make the yeast dough. My favorite yeast is Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast. It bakes up big, beautiful breads every time. Be sure your yeast is fresh for the best results!
- We find it easiest to use a stand mixer to mix and knead yeast doughs. You can use your hands to knead the dough if you don’t have a stand mixer, just be sure not to add too much flour. The dough should be slightly tacky so the rolls don’t end up dry.
- While the dough is rising, make the caramel pecan sugar mixture. You’ll melt sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan until the sugar is melted. Pour this sauce into a greased 10″ skillet and sprinkle the pecans overtop.
- Roll out the dough, top with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, then roll up the dough jelly roll style and cut into 10 pieces.
- Place the dough slices into the skillet and allow the rolls to rise again for 20-30 minutes or until the dough is slightly puffed. The exact time to rise will depend on temperature, humidity and even altitude, so just be sure to watch them closely.
- Bake the rolls for about 16 minutes, then let them rest for 3 minutes. Turn the rolls over onto a serving plate so the caramel sauce ends up on top. Be careful with the hot skillet…it’s very, very hot!
The Caramel Pecan Sticky Buns are best served warm alongside a cup of coffee or milk.