It is also known as mirliton squash is an edible plant and it’s belonging to the gourd family.
Chayote can be prepared in many varieties of dishes such as chayote salad, chayote squad side dish, chayote with smashed potatoes, chayote with tomatoes and chili and many more. Now we are going to see a few recipes here.
- 2 chayote’s (1 ¼ lb. total)
- 1 fresh jalapenos chili
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ pound cheddar cheese
- 1 firm ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2tbsps olive oil
- 2tbsps chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ thinly sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Heat a pan, add 1 ½ quarts water to boil, peel chayote and cut into small cubes. Add it into boiling water, cook it until it gets soft. Once it gets soft to take it out on a dry plate.
- Meanwhile, chop chili, bell pepper into ¼ inch cubes. Cut cheese into long sticks. Peel and pit the avocado and cut it into small cubes. Now mix all ingredient in a wide bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, cilantro, cooked chayote and all veggies in a wide bowl. Add salt and pepper as per taste and serve it.
- As we all know salad is a very healthy dish ever so we made it tastier as well.
Chayote with tomatoes and green chili :
- 1 pound chayote’s
- 6 roasted tomatoes (roast tomatoes)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 green chilly
- Pinch of red flakes
- Water as required
- Jack cheese
- First of all, we have to peel the chayote and cut it into long strip size. Chayote is hard to peel as its skin is hard and it doesn’t have even surface so please do this job very carefully.
- On the other side make a puree of tomatoes and garlic in a blender and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and add some oil and heat it, add chopped onions and green chili. Cook it on medium flame until it turns into light brown color.
- Add tomato puree, red chili flakes and stir it well, let it cook for about 4 mins.
- Now add chayote to the pan then add salt and water as per requirement as per taste to the pan, stir it well. Cover it and let it cook for 15 mins, stir occasionally.
- This is the time to open the lid and add chopped cilantro and cook it for another 5min. the chayote must be soft and smooth in texture.
- It seems like the dish is ready as my nose can smell the aroma. Now we can take it out in a serving dish an garnish it with cheese and fresh green coriander. Serve it hot for good taste.