Chayote – filled and baked with cheddar cheese
Clean 1-chayotes, halve, core. Bring salted water to the boil and chayote in it for 10 minutes while preheating the oven to 180 ° C. Now remove the pre-cooked chayotes from the boiling salted water, drain into the sieve, spoon the pulp of the chayotes to a 1/2 cm soil and fruit.
Finely chop 2-meat. In bowl with 3/4 d.White Bread, add the Cheddar + eggs, onions and pre-cooked, finely grated carrots and the chayote pulp, salt, pepper and fill with this mass the spoonfuled Chayote pods.
3-Well the stuffed chayote halves into an oven-proof mold-buttered-up. Mix the remaining white bread with the Parmesan, sprinkle over the chayote halves. Melt butter and sprinkle with butter. Baked in the oven for about 15-20 minutes …… Bon Appetit ..
Chayote recipes : Vegetables – Stuffed Chayotes
- In a large saucepan, cook the chayotes in lightly salted water for about 30 minutes. Wash it and leave to dry. Cut the chayote in half from the stalk and remove the seeds.
- Using a ball cutter, remove the pulp and leave a margin of about one centimeter in the fruit. Dice the pulp roughly and set aside.
- Wash the chili pepper, cut in half, remove the cores and the white inner skin and finely chase. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for half a minute. Remove from the water drain and peel. Then halve and remove the core house and dice the tomato halves.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the minced meat crumbly, but do not season. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Heat another two tablespoons of oil in the same pot and fry the onions in a glassy sauce. Briefly fry the garlic and the hashed jalapenos.
- Now add the minced meat, the diced tomatoes and the chilli pieces. Simmer all together over medium heat without lid until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt, pepper and Quebrado.
- Pour the minced meat mixture into the halves of the chayote and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. In the preheated oven on the grill stage, gratinate the whole until the cheese takes on a golden brown color.
- Chayotes are a type of cucurbit grown in South America and Kenya. It is eaten as a potato substitute in the cooler areas.
Chayote recipes : Chayote fricassee, vegan
- 1 kg Chayote (n)
- 4 small tomato (s)
- 1 toe garlic
- 1 piece (s) ginger root, small, peeled
- 2 m. Large onion (s)
- 100 ml of vegetable oil
- 200 ml of water
- 1 tbsp, sprinkled thyme, dried leaves
- 3 tablespoons parsley, for garnish
- salt and pepper
Working time: approx. 10 min. / Cooking time: approx. 25 min. / Level of difficulty: simple / calorie p. P .: not specified
Wash, quarter, remove the core and core of the Chayote fruit and peel the fruit (so that the spices are better able to penetrate the pulp). Then cut into slices approx. 0.5 – 1 cm thick. Cut the onions into thin rings. Finely grate garlic and ginger or crush in a mortar with a little salt. Finely chop tomatoes.
Heat the oil in the pot and lightly fry the onions and tomatoes. Then add the Chayote slices, stir well and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and stir. Add thyme, salt and pepper and add the water. Simmer the fricassee gently for 20 minutes. The chayote stays a little bit stronger than similar vegetables. Garnish with the fresh parsley.
Tastes delicious as a vegetable garnish or as a main course served with basmati rice.
Tip: The chayote is very common in tropical countries. It is related to the cucurbits, low in calories and very healthy. Raw it has the consistency of kohlrabi. You can get them conveniently in Asia markets, just ask!
More Chayote Recipes :