This recipe will fool you into thinking you’re eating a cream-based soup. It’s spicy, different, and really pretty. It’s extremely versatile. Tastes best when it’s made at least a day in advance.
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 chayote squashes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion, garlic, and red pepper in the butter until the onion is soft. Add the squash, 2 tablespoons cilantro, salt, and pepper and stir continually for 5 minutes. Stir in the bouillon mixture and 1 tablespoon cilantro; cover. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into bowls and garnish with a sprig of cilantro to serve.
Categories: Chayote Recipes