This is a easy one-pot dish from the Philippines. It contains meat and vegetables all cooked together in one savory dish.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 pounds chicken legs and thighs, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 chayote squash, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 pound spinach
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil until fragrant. Quickly stir the ginger and fish sauce into the onion and garlic mixture before adding the chicken; cook together for 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth over the mixture and cook another 5 minutes. Add the chayote to the mixture and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Add the bok choy and spinach; cook until the spinach is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Categories: Chayote Recipes