- Yield:Serves 3 to 4 as a side dish
- Total time:10 minutes
- 1 large zucchini, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large summer squash, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Serrano chili, finely minced
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, split in half
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Toss zucchini and squash with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl, making sure that no pieces are stuck together. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat remaining oil in a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add zucchini and squash and spread in a single layer (or as close to a single layer as possible). Cook without moving until well browned on first side, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip pieces with a thin metal spatula and continue to cook until browned on second side, about a minute longer. Add chili, shallot, and tomatoes, and toss to combine. Cook, tossing and stirring gently with a wooden spoon until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add lemon juice, parsley, and chives. Toss to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.