This colorful spread gets its fresh taste from finely chopped onions and a splash of red wine vinegar. It will keep for up to a week in the fridge and makes a great hostess gift. Serve on crackers or pita wedges, by itself, or with vegan cream cheese.
- 2 medium eggplants (1 1⁄2 lb.)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 1⁄2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to broil. Prick eggplants several times with fork. Place eggplants and bell peppers on baking sheet. Broil 20 to 25 minutes, or until eggplants and peppers are blackened on all sides, turning occasionally. Place bell peppers in plastic bag to cool and steam skins. Cool eggplant and bell peppers 20 minutes, or until easy to handle.
- Peel and coarsely chop eggplants, then place in large bowl. Peel and remove core and seeds from bell peppers. Chop into 1⁄4-inch dice, and add to bowl with eggplant. Stir in onion and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper.
PER 2-TBS. SERVING: 13 CAL; 1 G PROT; 0 G TOTAL FAT (0 G SAT FAT); 3 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 25 MG SOD; 1 G FIBER; 1 G SUGARS
Success Secret: Blacken, Don’t Burn
For perfectly roasted whole eggplant and bell peppers, don’t be afraid to blacken them until they blister. This guarantees the flesh inside will be tender and makes the skin easy to remove, but it won’t burn the high-moisture veggies themselves.
Categories: Vegetarian recipes