For the Pesto:
- 6 serrano peppers
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro with stems
- 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
For the Chayote Squash Side Dish:
- 3 chayote squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds, or to taste (optional)
- Heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Place serrano chiles and garlic in the hot skillet. Cook until blistered and browned on the outside and slightly softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Roast poblano over an open flame until blackened all over; wrap up in a paper towel to let steam.
- Place serranos and garlic in a bowl; let cool until safe to handle. Peel the garlic and remove stems and seeds from serranos and poblano.
- Place cilantro and parsley in a blender. Add peppers, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Pulse on and off, scraping down the sides if necessary, until puree is fairly smooth and slightly coarse. Store pesto in a bowl until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Halve and quarter chayote lengthwise. Remove seeds and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place on a lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chayote is just barely fork-tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add lime juice, 2 to 3 heaping spoonfuls of pesto, and goat cheese. Transfer salad to a serving dish and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Categories: Chayote Recipes