Oxtails might be considered a “tough” cut of beef, but when they’re stewed at a gentle simmer for hours, the meat melts right off of the bones. In other words, braised oxtails are a perfect hearty comfort food to warm you during the cooler months
- 2 pounds medium-cut oxtail pieces
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can cannellini beans
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place the oxtails in a large bowl; add the molasses and sprinkle with the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Remove lid from a 6-quart Instant Pot®. Press [Sauté], and then use [Adjust] to select “More” mode. When the word “Hot” appears, add oil to cooker. Add oxtails to cooker; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Pour in the stock and add remaining ingredients. Stir, scraping bottom of the cooker to loosen browned bits and cook for 5 minutes.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press [Manual]; select “High Pressure”, and use [-] or [+] to choose 50 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, turn cooker off. Carefully open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Add additional salt to taste. Serve oxtails and gravy over warm rice, or other starch of your choosing.
Categories: Oxtail Recipes