Mushrooms are highly nutritious. Especially for vegans, mushrooms can be a very good source of nutrition. These days, mushrooms are gaining much importance and popularity worldwide.
Especially the white button mushrooms have invaded the food industry greatly and have great demand worldwide. Along with being tasty mushrooms have also got great health benefits.
They are believed to improve our immunity, reduce cholesterol levels and the risk of heart attacks. As mushrooms have very low calories and no fat content, it helps to reduce body weight. They are also a very rich source of fiber and unsaturated fatty acids.
The health benefits of mushrooms
This helps to improve digestion and maintain healthy body weight. Mushrooms are having very low sodium content and assist in managing blood pressure. They are filled with nutrients like copper, potassium, selenium and rich source of vitamin B.
Even in the medical field, mushrooms are believed to be super food as they can be used to treat many allergies, arthritis, high cholesterol level, diabetes, blood pressure, bronchitis and some forms of cancer.
Mushrooms are used in a variety of dishes and sauces. You can prepare different varieties of dishes with mushrooms as they suite well with many combinations and blend well with a variety of ingredients. You can use mushrooms as starters, side dish or main dish.
Mushroom Manchurian, mushroom garlic butter, mushroom soup, mushroom noodles, mushroom fried rice, mushroom Kadai gravy, mushroom tikka, mushroom curry, garlic mushroom, and the list goes on.
Mushroom Kadai recipe:
Here is the recipe for a perfect mushroom Kadai gravy which you can try with roti, rice, chapatis or parathas. It is a wonderful combination of mushrooms baked in onion- tomato base and freshly grounded Masala.
- Preparation time: 30 mins.
- Cooking time: 15 mins.
- Total time: 45 mins.
- 4 tbs oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6-8 cashews
- 3-4 garlic pieces
- 1-inch ginger
- 1/4 dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 tbs red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 medium bowl mushrooms
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- Salt to taste
For Kadai masala
- 1-2 tbs coriander seeds
- 4-5 dried red chilies.
How to prepare kadai masala
- Blend the coriander seeds and red chilies in a blender and keep the powder ready.
- Now take a frying pan and add 2tbs oil. Once the oil is hot sauté the ginger and garlic till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add a cup of sliced onions and saute till they turn pale golden.
- Add a cup of sliced tomatoes add saute till they turn mushy.
- Add cashews and set it aside till it cools down completely.
- Now blend it into a smooth paste. Add 1-2tbs water if necessary.
- Rinse mushrooms well in water.
- Slice them into small pieces.
- Take oil in a pan and add the sliced mushrooms to hot oil.
- Saute it for 3-4 mins.
- Add sliced onion and capsicum and saute them together till mushrooms turn slightly golden brown.
- Keep it aside.
Preparing Mushroom Kadai
- Take 2tbs of oil and heat it.
- Add powdered coriander seeds and red chili.
- Saute it to the strong aroma goes off.
- Add the grounded onion-tomato paste and saute for 4-5 mins or till it oozes out the oil.
- Add 1-1.5 cups of water based on the desired consistency.
- Cover the pan and cook till the gravy thickens or attain required consistency.
- Add the mixture of fried mushrooms, onion and capsicum. Add salt to taste and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Turn off the stove and add finely chopped coriander leaves to taste.
- Serve it with rice, roti, chapati or parathas.
Categories: Mushroom Recipes