Cashews become creamy when blended, which makes them perfect for this cheese. It’s aged at room temperature, then baked until dry to the touch.
- 3⁄4 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 6 Tbs. canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. tahini
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns or coarsely ground black pepper
- Soak cashews overnight in large bowl of cold water. Drain; rinse under cold water; drain again. Purée cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until creamy.
- Place large strainer over bowl and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth. Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into oval loaf. Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands. Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Chill.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth. Rewrap, and twist ends to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally. Cool, and chill.
- Unwrap cheese. Sprinkle with peppercorns, and press to adhere.
PER 1-OZ. SERVING: 140 CAL; 2 G PROT; 14 G TOTAL FAT (2 G SAT FAT); 4 G CARB; 0 MG CHOL; 293 MG SOD; 1 G FIBER; 0 G SUGARS
Categories: Vegetarian recipes