- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup almond butter (although cashew, hazelnut, walnut and even pumpkin butters will work well too!)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (check your local health food store)
- 1/4 cup almond meal (simply pulse approximately 1/4 cup of almonds until it creates a coarse flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extrac
- 1/2 tsp of raw honey (although, this is really kind of optional because the egg will help hold the mixture together)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened whey protein powder (or 60g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on top
- On a cookie sheet, toast nuts and shredded coconut until golden brown. In order for them to cook evenly, you need to shake up the tray at least once during cooking…trust us!
- Once toasted, pour mixture into a food processor and pulse until nuts are chopped and the mixture becomes coarsely ground (sort of the consistency of bread crumbs).
- In a mixing bowl, melt coconut oil and almond butter (about 30 seconds). Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, honey and sea salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in nut mixture, almond meal and protein powder until mixed thoroughly.
- Add whole egg and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in blueberries/cranberries.
- Press mixture into an 8 by 8 loaf pan (a modification that we made to keep everything crisper and help the bars to hold together).
- Cook in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle a ¼ cup of shredded coconut on top and place under broiler until top begins to brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces/bars.
- Enjoy or stack on wax paper/parchment and store in an airtight container.
Categories: Eating Pegan