This dairy free, nut free, gluten free vanilla coconut oat milk is a delicious and easy homemade alternative to regular milk that can be made in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 cup steel cut oats (gluten free)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 cups water
- 3 pitted dates (I used regular dates, not medjool. If using medjool, I’d probably just use two as they’re bigger)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Soak both oats and coconut in water (in separate bowls) for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the coconut and place it in a blender.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the oats until they no longer have a slimy feeling to them then add to the blender with the coconut.
- Add the 6 cups of water to the blender and blend for 1-2 minutes on high speed until completely smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve/strainer into a large bowl. Use a spatula to push the liquid through, you’ll likely have to do this in batches depending on the size of your strainer. The oat and coconut pulp will be left in the strainer, you can save it for oatmeal/porridge, cookies, smoothies, etc.
- Pour the liquid back into the blender, add the dates, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and blend for about 20 seconds on high until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Pour milk into a jar or can and keep refrigerated. Milk will last 4-5 days.
Categories: Oat milk